Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Can you understand?

I'm starting to think that I'm speaking geek. 'Geek' is a language developed by people in specialized cultures to more concisely convey terms that are known too all in that sect.

Today, I had someone approach me about a scholarly paper I wrote regarding asynchronous error handling strategies for services implementing diverse input methods including bean managed transactions, the avoidance of resource starvation and failover strategies for scalable production systems. They said, "I have come to the conclusion that it will take someone with a great deal of skill to read this document." Everyone seemed to follow the presentation easily enough... perhaps they were just quiet because I'd lost everyone.. :/

Later that day I had a meeting for one of the projects I was on and we were discussing how to get around a particular implementation shortcoming and I tossed in a not about using RMI/RPC. Everyone stared at me blankly. One person said, "Whatever that means," and the meeting continued.

I'd really like to have a tape recorder running 24/7 so that I can play back what I said when people completely misunderstand/don't comprehend what I'm saying. Gah!

Another interesting 'ism I found out about was my work 'tude. I'm overly happy at work because I get to hang out with great people that I'm happy to just be around. When it comes down to business, apparently I have a very worried face, or a very creepy blank stare. Too bad there are no mirrors at work.

Yesterday I was hangin' out at the Avery's making fun sounds with my band. You HAVE GOT TO HEAR OUR NEW STUFF. Seriously, it's going to blow people away. I almost cried it was so good... it gave me the goosepimples. One of my favorite moments from the evening was when Mike (in charge of keeping us moving in the right direction) started recording and Tim was still messing around on his guitar. "Tim! Pay attention." Well, not only did Tim snap to, everyone else popped up, eyes front. Haha! Everyone was in their own little zone.

Hrm, you probably had to be there for that to be funny. :P

I'm on facebook people! If you are too, add me! I send out invites now and again for cool activities. :D

1 comment:

Ben said...

Yep, Geek.

Way to be though. Keep it up - because once you dumb down it's hard to get back to where you were.

Take a mirror to work.
Carry a tape recorder.
Send me some of your band's stuff?
What's the style?