Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Why an ASUS Eee PC?

This is a summary of my purchasing and usage decisions with the $360 Eee PC laptop I just purchased.

Here's what I use it for:
  1. Remote data recovery (I fix a lot of dead hard drives, the eee is much lighter than my 12 lb gaming laptop)Vacation photos/video (I have a 20GB portable drive I ues to copy my camcorder's and camera's flash cards to)
  2. Google Docs/Calendar anywhere with WifiTimeshare Travel (There's always wifi, but I've been afraid to take my $1k laptop with me... not to mention 12lbs is a lot for a day bag. The Eee PC is shockproof and weighs in at 2lbs.)
  3. Open office docs & spreedsheets (I can view and edit my budget and personal notes(songs in progress, bible studies, tips & tricks for ...) anywhere.)
  4. Daily mail & news (I open up and sync Thunderbird before I leave the house in about 30 seconds from boot to shutdown. On the bus and at lunch I can read and respond to all of my rss feeds and mail offline.)
  5. Around the house Cloud Computing (I want to use the media center, so I pass the Eee to Cheryl so she can read her mail, surf facebook, and do all that non-resource intensive stuff she likes to do)
  6. Random Entertainment (For trips or Dr's offices, I can watch the DVDs I've ripped to Xvid, or play flash games online)
Why the 4G instead of the 8G or 900? Price point and battery life. The 8G is $500 where the 4G is only $360 (Windows or Linux). The 900 has a 9" screen instead of a 7" screen, but that takes the battery life from 4 hrs to 2.2 hrs.

Why Asus Desktop (Xandros derivative) instead of Ubuntu or Windows? Speed. Plain and simple... With Asus Desktop, the Eeepc boot time is 17 seconds from off to surfing the web. Asus desktop recognized my A-HD camcorder, Canon 700is Camera, 3 different USB flash drives, portable hard drive, and every wireless network I've put it on so far without a hitch (including WPA).

Why the 4G 701 instead of the 4G Surf (401)? I wanted the webcam to talk with my brother via skype. In the 701, you can upgrade the RAM to 2GB, where the 401 (Surf) has soldered RAM.

Why scale the processor back to 667 MHz from 900? Apps launch slowly (2-3 seconds), but I get 4.5 hrs of battery life with wifi instead of 3.

No comments: