Thursday, April 2, 2009

Commuter Bike Tips

Today I made my first full commute to work by bike for the season. I averaged 17 mph over the 13 mile ride to work. When I got in to work, I felt great! No saddle sores, my knees felt normal, my muscles were taught but not weak... I felt ...*Unreal tournament 2004 announcer voice* UNSTOPPABLE!!

Here are some tips I have from what I learned over the last season:
  1. Take 15 minutes to stretch and warm up first (for long rides > 5 miles, your neck, hips and knees will thank you).
  2. Keep your legs warm (it really matters to your knees)
  3. When you hit a hill, go slow enough that you think you can take it easily, then back off another 10% (if you go anaerobic, you won't recover for the rest of the ride)
  4. Don't downshift on a hill until you're 30% below your target cadence (shifting down too soon will kill your momentum)
  5. Take it easy. For rides longer than 5 miles, don't push the entire ride. If you're like me, pushing too hard will cause damage to your knees and ankles after only a few weeks.
  6. If you have pain on top of your knee caps, your seat is too low.
  7. If you have pain in the back of your legs, under your knees, your seat is too high.
I wore 2 layers of pants and shirts to make sure my core and legs were warm. I overheated by the time I got to work, but I didn't have all the aches and pains I typically associate with a long ride. Staying warm and find the right seat height make a really big difference.


No comments: