Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Craigslist Sales -> What a day!! :D

I tend to do a lot of buying through Craigslist. Usually, it's small items like CDs, clothes, crappy furniture... but I noticed this post for a monitor.

Here's the email chain that ensued from me noting my interest in the item ($165 22" acer X widescreen):

me: I'm interested. Any dead pixels?
seller: It is brand new in a sealed box...never opened
me: I see. Thanks for the offer, but I'm anxious about putting down cash on an untested product with no chance of an RMA. Good luck with other offers!
seller: one year factory warranty
me: Oh, interesting. What was the original purchase date?
seller: Jan 2009
me: Thanks for continuing to humor my questions. Why do you have it, unopened still after two months?
seller: Forget it, dont bother people when they are selling something
me: Good luck with your sale, regardless.
seller: Thats ok, I don't need you. I already sold plenty and I'll sell this one

My "good luck" statements must have been taken as "good luck making a sale without me" *harumph-type-of-thing*... 
What do people usually say these days? Best wishes?

Does this interaction seem scam-like or is a usual transaction on a no-questions asked basis?
Ah well...
I'm excited about my new computer! Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow (snafu with the delivery today). I bought a Dell, Studio XPS 435, Core i7-940, 4GB, 1TB, ATI Radeon 4850 for $1k from delloutlet.com. It's going to be roughly 8x faster than my currently outdated P4 rig, so hopefully my video editing won't be as tedious.

I biked into work this morning for the first time this season! IT WAS AWESOME! As a side note, I had a flat tire in the rain (which I swapped out on the side of the road), but the ride was beautiful! I love the speed involved in cycling, the effortless glide... I was happy by the time I'd reached work, and that feeling hasn't subsided all day! I'm headed to bed now, happy with the day, happy with the work I got done at work, happy that the pantry is now fully stocked after a trip to wegmans, happy that I got to hear the Smokin Hot Pipes live, happy that I have a new computer coming tomorrow, happy that Cheryl is happy that I'm happy, and overjoyed by Annabelle's constant stream of affection, attention, and creativity. Booyah! What a day!!

5 comments:

Dean Rzonca said...

There are plenty of legitimate reasons for wanting to sell an item new-in-box (came free with a new PC? Won a raffle?), so I'm surprised the seller couldn't articulate one.

For used items, the no-questions-asked/as-is/cash-only nature of craigslist is ideal, but even then people will want to try out an item to make sure it works.

To me at least, the seller's extremely defensive tone says it's either a scam or someone who makes a living turning around wholesale goods on craigslist/ebay. Either way, it seems best to avoid.

Communication really doesn't seem to be most Internet people's strong suite, and there are plenty of people that are simply jerks. I've sold a few big-ticket items on Craigslist and I've had to deal with lots of people who are pushy, incoherent and inconsiderate. You certainly weren't the problem here.

Ed Brannin said...

I agree with Dean. The way he answered your first questions and suddenly turned a cold shoulder without so much as a "Ok, are you really serious?" seems especially strange.

David said...

Awesome.

rpm1200 said...

Just catching up on my reading and saw this... I think it's good you did not get the Acer monitor. At church we have three refurbished Acer 24" displays and two of them developed problems after the warranty ended. On one the backlight stays on but the screen goes out and another randomly turns off even though its power light is still green.

David said...

Oh wow. Thanks for the tip!